Reboot is required after installation for updates to take effect and hardware stability to be maintained.
Installing Offline Bundles on an ESXi 5.0 Host Using vSphere CLI 5.0 esxcli Utility
You can use the esxcli utility in conjunction with offline bundles or with a depot. This topic describes
the procedure using offline bundles.
Before you can update or patch an ESXi 5.0 host from the command line, you must have access to a machine on which you can run the VMware vSphere Command-Line Interface 5.0 (vSphere CLI). You can install the vSphere CLI on your Microsoft Windows or Linux system. For information about importing or installing the vSphereCLI 5.0, see the VMware vSphere Command-Line Interface Guides at the folloiwng urls:
- Power off any virtual machines that are running on the host and place the host into maintenance mode.
- Transfer the offline bundle onto the ESXi host local path, or extract it onto an online depot.
- Install the bundle on the ESXi host.
- Install remotely from client, with offline bundle contents on a online depot: esxcli -s <server> -u root -p mypassword software vib install -d <depotURL/bundle-index.xml>
- Install remotely from client, with offline bundle on ESXi host: esxcli -s <server> -u root -p mypassword software vib install -d <ESXi local path><bundle.zip>
- Install from ESXi host, with offline bundle on ESXi host: esxcli software vib install -d <ESXi local path><bundle.zip>
- After the bundle is installed, reboot the ESXi host for the updates to take effect.
- (Optional) Verify that the vibs on the bundle are installed on your ESXi host: esxcli -s <server> -u root -p mypassword software vib list
- (Optional) Remove individual vibs. <vib name> can be identified by listing the vibs as shown in #5: esxcli -s <server> -u root -p mypassword software vib remove -n <vib name>
Installing Offline Bundles on an ESXi 5.0 Host Using VMware vCenter Update Manager
The offline bundle can also be installed from VMware vCenter Update Manager as a patch. For more information and detailed instructions, see the VMware vCenter Update Manager Administration Guide located at http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/topic/com.vmware.vsphere.update_manager.doc_50/GUID-F7191592-048B-40C7-A610-CFEE6A790AB0.html.
Installing HP ESXi 5.0 AMS Offline Bundle over HP ESXi 5.0 Management Offline Bundle or vice-versa
- If the customer installed the HP Custom ISO or the HP Offline Management Bundle, the customer doesn’t need to do anything to change their applications to use Agentless Management vs. full in-band and visa-versa. The customer only needs to follow these procedures if the customer installed only the AMS bundle and decided they want to use the full in-band provider solution OR if the customer has the full in-band solution installed and they want to go to Agentless Management and DO NOT want the full in-band providers installed.
- Customer scenario 1:
Customer has ESXi 5.0 and is currently using HP Insight Management WBEM Providers for ESXi. Customer wants to move to using Agentless Management and does not want the full providers installed. Install the AMS Offline Bundle.
- Customer scenario 2:
Customer has ESXi 5.0 and is currently using Agentless Management and does not have the full providers installed. Customer wants to move to using HP Insight Management WBEM Providers for ESXi. Install the Management Offline Bundle.